Friday, July 1, 2011

Taj Interview

Taj Interview
#DirectorsWeek


Tell us about yourself. Whats your name? Where are you from?
-My name is TAJ, and I'm a director from Oakland, CA.

What does the word "based" mean to you?
-SOLID. Official. DOPE. Noteworthy.

How did you get into the directors chair/behind the camera? What inspired you and still inspires you?
-I started out with photography in the Bay area and eventually began working on Music Video sets for some extra cash. From there, I began shoot my own indie videos and eventually got signed to a production company in NYC. I happened pretty fast. I was first inspired by a director named, Anthony Mandler. I was fortunate enough to watch him work and it was an amazing experience. These days, BUILDING anything inspires me. I'm inspired by the challenge.

What upcoming projects are you working on, any particular one special to you or one your excited for?
-I can't talk about up coming projects, but I just did a personal project for Teyana Taylor and I think it's going to touch a lot of people.

Overall, whats your favorite video that you've ever created?
-Hmmmm... that's hard for me to say. I don't really have a favorite, but I did love the energy in Jennifer Lopez's video. But I loved the story in Ne-Yo's video. That's a tough one.



Are there any artists out there you would like to work with, but haven't got the chance yet?
-Yeah... Jay-Z, Kanye, Sade, Madonna, Beyonce... long list.

Besides your own videos, whats a video out right now that really caught your eye?
-I really like Eminem's "Space Bound" video. Great visuals. Great translation of the music.

What is something that people don't know about you?
-That I love helping people. So much so, that I tend to overlook who I'm helping. I love seeing light bulbs go off in people's minds.

Whats some advice you can give the people that want to get behind the camera and into the directors chair?
-The best advice that I was given was to just SHOOT, STUDY, and take risks.

Where can people find more about you?
www.tajstansberry.com // www.sleepingonmars.com (BLOG) // www.larkcreative.tv (agency)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More