Saturday, September 17, 2011

Max Albert Interview

Max Albert Interview


Tell us about yourself. Whats your name? Where are you from?
-My name is Max, I'm originally from Carlsbad, CA but recently moved to LA at the beginning of the summer to pursue more centralized work as a director.

How did you get into the directors chair/behind the camera? What inspired you and still inspires you?
-I have been shooting and editing video since I was eleven years old so for me I was never asking myself, "what should I do next?". It has always been pre-programmed into my brain. There are so many people that inspire me to achieve higher goals and bigger projects- Tony Scott, David Fincher, Taylor Sella, Grizz Lee, Adrian Picardi, Brett Ratner, Ned Cameron, Tim Burton, I swear there are too many to name. I am inspired by musicians sometimes more than directors for sure. Supr Humn studios in Beverly Hills is killing the hip hop game right now and I try to surround myself with people who are good at what they do. Thats what's up.


What upcoming projects are you working on, any particular one special to you or one your excited for?
-This Bobby Brackins video titled "Ski Mask" drops this week off his new album. I'm really excited about it. It's loaded with beautiful women and dope verses from Brackins, what more could you ask for other than a beat from music producer- Nic Nac (producer on Ski Mask). I am also really pumped for the release of the Glasses Malone movie I directed called "The Division". We shot in the hoods of Watts (Malone’s hometown) for a couple of weeks in south central, which was definitely an eye opener for me. Just knowing that there are rappers out there who are really are doing the sh*t they rap about is crazy! Glasses is really one of those dudes, but in the same sense he’s actually a really accomplished rapper.

Overall, whats your favorite video that you've ever created?
-My favorite project up to date is probably the Andy Milonakis video "Spaghetti- PWYPO" just because it was the most fun I've had on set. Andy is a genius and genuinely very down to earth. Everyone can expect more videos from the two of us soon. The Bobby Brackins video, in my opinion will be the illest I've had a chance to create based on the concept of the songs content. I like working with artists like Bob (Bobby Brackins) because they aren't afraid to go with a unique idea. In hip hop it is difficult to push an idea that falls outside of the box because there is such a strong stigma from the public on how a video should be or what a song should be about. It’s about blowing past expectations and creating new bars. Bob was willing to collaborate and give me my own lane as a director. I really think the video came out as dope as it did because of that.


Are there any artists out there you would like to work with, but haven't got the chance yet?
-I feel like there are so many artists that I haven't had a chance to work with yet. My doors are open. Honestly if someone likes my style of directing no matter how big or small of an artist they are I will always take them seriously and treat their project with the same intensity. I can only hope that the artists I work with in the future are able to bring content to the table that I am able to create the same unbelievable vision that they saw when drafting their work.

Besides your own videos, whats a video out right now that really caught your eye?
-I mean everything from Michel Gondry to Hype Williams, Benny Boom, Chris Robinson, Gil Green. The music video directors are absolutely killing it today and in that order. There’s something so refreshing about seeing a really good video, where you think it is just as great the last time you watch it as the first time.

What is something that people don't know about you?
-I never got my diploma from film school, but I'm only 1 of 5 people in my entire graduating class who are actually doing sh*t in the industry. I love that I came from that. It gave me an extra bit of motivation during those nights editing till 3 or 4 am and heading to a set at 5am.


What does the word "based" mean to you?
-Based is all about having your own vision. I think people are so caught up in comparisons and being critical of their competition, they don't focus on directing the dopest video. I watch videos and respect other directors, but I really do feel that the upcoming projects (some I can't speak on) will really re-invent the film and video game in general. My business partner (Carlos Mason) and I keep it based 24/7.

What’s some advice you can give the people that want to get behind the camera and into the directors chair?
-Don't listen to people who have no clue what they're talking about. Sounds simple, but actually doing that is very difficult for some people. Everyone’s going to want to give you advice or tell you how you should be doing something, but if you pull from your inspiration and create your own advice to follow, you’ll not only end up ahead because you are different but you won’t be stuck behind because of some shitty advice someone gave you. Everyone is completely different, you have to figure out what works for you.

Where can people find more about you?
My company site
My personal site

2 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More