Tuesday, October 25, 2011

DJ Amen Interview

DJ Amen Interview


Tell us about yourself. What’s your name? Where are you from?
-Amen is my handle, and my jurisdiction early in life was in the Northern regions of the Bay. I have had a passion for music for as long as I can remember. I got my first pair of turntables from an ad in the back of the Source magazine when I was a freshman in high school, and have been determined ever since to soak up as much of the music game as possible. A lot of people know me for my work finding and working with up and coming artists as well as a 106.1 KMEL All Star DJ for the past 5 years. I currently work out of, and live in downtown San Francisco.

What is the significance of your name, DJ Amen? How did you get that name?
-My older brother gave me the name after I got out of a group home when I turned 18. I came out of the program with a better understanding and focus to keep myself out of trouble and stay away from the negative situations we are all surrounded with everyday. The name was so strong that it stuck with me, and I have been blessed for everything to consistently work out for me while chasing my dreams with music all these years.

What was the first record that you ever bought and when did you start scratching and mixing on turntables?
-I really don’t remember, I think it was an old compilation of early 80’s New York novelty hip-hop records I found. I remember my first CD I ever bought was a Pete Rock and CL Smooth album while riding around with my dad in SF one day.

Who and what are your influences?
-In the early days I really looked up to people like Afika Bambaataa and Jam Master Jay (whom I actually got to meet in SF before he passed), then as I got deeper in the culture, I respected the people who pushed the boundaries like Mix Master Mike and Q-bert. When I got older and more into the radio/music business side of it, I started to really follow people like Funk Master Flex, Felli Fel, Big Von, etc… I think people shaping the culture influence me.

If you could choose one artist to collaborate with, who would it be? Why?
-Somebody that’s out there that nobody knows yet. All the big artists that everybody listens too today started somewhere. Over time, we have seen the Eminems, Jays, Drakes, and right now there is somebody out there that will be better than all of them someday. I want to find that person and work with them as they are developing themselves.


Out of all the songs in your library, which one ‘never fails?’
-I’m from the Bay. “Blow the Whistle” by Too Short is and will forever be a party starter.

This site’s purpose is living and representing the Based lifestyle. What does the word "based" mean to you?
-I feel like most of the Bay Area terms, “Based” has many uses and can mean almost anything you want it to. For me it’s a feeling born from the youth being fearless and careless while having passion and determination to be original while getting things done their way. It comes from the younger generation being raised in a very independent culture and the by-product of hippies and hustlers. It’s an “I don’t care what you think” vibe with a “we are going to get things done with or without you” attitude.

Are you working on any upcoming projects you would like to share with everyone?
-Because I am always working with young artists, tastemakers, other DJ’s, etc… there is always something going on in the world of Amen. I would say DJ’ing is the one thing I do the least of these days. I try to keep DjAmen.com updated as much as possible so people can keep up with me on a regular basis.

What’s something that people might not know about you?
-That I really try and listen to every song somebody gives to me. I don’t have the time to respond to all the emails because there is not enough time in the day but if I hear something I will track the person down. You never know who will have the next big record.


What’s some advice you can give to upcoming/aspiring DJ’s that you have learned so far that may come in handy to someone else?
-Make sure that you always think long term and build good credit in the industry. Try and help as many people out as possible because you never know where some people will end up in a not so distant future. Also understand that branding/marketing and networking are the best things you can do on a daily basis that don’t always cost a lot of money or require waiting on somebody else.

Where can people find more about you?
-My website (www.DjAmen.com) is the hub for everything Amen, and you can keep up with me daily on my Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More