Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Victor Klaus Interview

Victor Klaus Interview


Tell us about yourself. Whats your name? Where are you from?
-Victor Klaus from Victorville, CA (Yep.... I know).

What does the word "based" mean to you?
-Honestly up until a couple months ago I didn't know what it was haha. I had to look it up... I'd describe it as pretty much just doing your own thing. Not going out the way to be a certain way, just being yourself without any care to what others will think of it...

How did you get into the directors chair/behind the camera? What inspired you and still inspires you?
-I've always been into making movies ever since I was a kid... I made my first movie at age 10 it was a James Bond ripoff type thing called 000 (Pronounced like Double O, Zero). I used to record on my parents big ass VHS camcorder and edit with two VCR's linked up together to make a sketchy edit station. I used to film skate videos, did all that, little movies with my friends.... After High School I got my Bachelors at film school. Interned at The Hollywood Reporter and Billboard.com and began working there full time. Still there now..... So I bought a camera and started doing videos for my friends. Then The Rangers hit me up and wanted to do HOTEL ROOM and LAY YOU DOWN. We banged those out and the rest is history. Now I have a nice base of projects and people working with me. Inspired by the little things... Random moments.... Everything. But most of all watching other people's videos gets me psyched to try and push myself. I'm just scratching the surface, I'm up for whatever comes.

What upcoming projects are you working on, any particular one special to you or one your excited for?
-Anything I do with Flip Major always turns out ridiculous. He's so crazy. It's hard to think of one project in particular I'm excited about.... I guess it would be Spencer Bonds "No One" video which will be coming out this October. It's already finished and I've showed it to some people and it's got good responses. It's a real off the wall style video. I've typically done performance based videos--you know cool shots, slow mo, rapping, thats about it--this one is real creepy and strange. And I've focused less on the rapping and more on crazy visuals. That's the direction I want to go toward these days.... More visuals. More ideas. More creative. It's hard to do that with low budgets and up and coming artists due to costs being kept to a minimum, but I'm trying to expand my videos in that way, and looking for more artists who have a less is more mentality. We don't always need crowds, parties, and tons of chicks. These days people are paying attention to more than just that.... So I'm trying to be creative and challenge myself. I'm not always successful at doing that. But hey I'm just getting started.... and it's a fun ride.

Overall, whats your favorite video that you've ever created?
-Up until this point I'd say for a while it was Spencer Bonds GREEN SUBMARINE...Just because it was so different from most of the videos I had done so far... It was the first step in me getting more creative. It was a good attempt and did what I wanted it to do....but now I'm really excited for people to see/talk about the NO ONE video this October.... I know they'll be shocked. I just want to see the comments. Let's just say Tyler the Creator fans would approve. All in all, I love lots of my videos.... I've never been good at picking favorites haha. I'll say Flip Major PARIS HILTON, Spencer Bonds NO ONE, Pete G PUNCTUATE, and The Rangers HOTEL ROOM.



Are there any artists out there you would like to work with, but haven't got the chance yet?
-YES. Most definitely.... Anyone who has good music and is down to create something interesting.

Besides your own videos, whats a video out right now that really caught your eye?
-Not really a fan of Tyler The Creator's music, but his video for "She" is pretty dope. Oh yeah and the OverDoz video for "Pasadena". Just those two off the top of my head....

What is something that people don't know about you?
-That I actually don't know what I'm doing! Haha.

Whats some advice you can give the people that want to get behind the camera and into the directors chair?
-Shit. Honestly, I don't even feel like I have advice that anyone should take. Haha. I worked hard but I do think I got handed some good cards.... Just do you. Do what you want to do and have the passion to make things happen for yourself. Don't even expect anything out of it.... Just do it.... Ah did I really just end that with Nike's slogan. Oops.

Where can people find more about you?
-Official Website
-YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More