Monday, February 27, 2012

Jesse Abraham Interview


We have a great artist to introduce you to by the name of Jesse Abraham. This artist won the 2011 Underground Music Award for Lyricist of the year can be seen as “a hip-hop head from day one, and his understanding of the music itself allows him to come across as an intelligent and well-versed rapper. He has a fresh and unique feel that is hard to ignore.” – RapReviews.com

Continue below to check out our interview...


Tell us about yourself. What’s your name? Where are you from?
- My name is Jesse Abraham and I’m from New York City.

How did you get your start in the music industry? Who or what inspired you?
- OK so I just looked up the definition of the word ‘industry’, and now I’m not sure that I’ve actually ever entered the music industry. I mean, I have music up on iTunes and I’ve sold merch and such, but mostly I’m here to share, not earn. I’ve been writing rhymes since I was a little kid, as the hip-hop culture of New York City absorbed me as soon as I saw graffiti and breakdancing popping up all around me. It was really the experience of being a city kid and witnessing the various elements grow as I grew that made me love this particular form of expression. I recorded my first song when I was eight and just never stopped writing, recording and performing.


What upcoming projects are you working on?
- My third full-length album will be coming out this Summer, as well as a slew of music videos and such. I have a little mixtape scheduled for the winter and next year should be interesting, as I have a concept album I’ve been working on in the background for a minute. I’m also working on learning to cut my own hair, which is going horribly thus far, but we’ll see what happens.

Since the start of your music career what is, in your opinion, the best track you have ever made?
- Spiderman on Vitamins is probably the best song I’ve ever made. There’s something in those three and a half minutes that not only fits me but also seems to connect with every soul and spirit that hears it. It’s sincere, playful, demonstrative and challenging. Shouts to Spills and Cherise.



If you could choose one artist to collaborate with on a track who would it be? Why?
- If I could choose one artist to work with it would probably be someone like Bach or James Brown or Serj from System of a Down or Cab Calloway. But none of those would work out in reality, so what a waste of a wish that would be. I’d say Young Buck.

This site’s purpose is living and representing the Based lifestyle. What does the word "based" mean to you? - Based means being true to you and being fortunate enough to gain the appreciation of others simultaneously.

Who are your favorite artists right now? Who’s playing through your speakers?
- I just copped Emilio Rojas’ new project, Homeboy Sandman’s new EP, Baxter Wordsworth’s new album and my boy Johnny U’s new mixtape. I downloaded a joint by Wax recently too but I’ve yet to listen to it. Oh and Has-Lo’s remix album, I just got that too. Good stuff.


What’s something that people might not know about you?
- I suffer from a rare and benign condition called Exploding Head Syndrome. It doesn’t hurt, but it’s confusing when it acts up. I’ve been unaffected by it for a year or two now, but y’never know when it’ll reemerge.

What’s some advice you can give to upcoming/aspiring artists that you have learned so far that may come in handy to someone else?
- Limit your dairy intake and use fragrance-free soap. Throw your own shows sometimes. Stand out and be outstanding and stand out and be outstanding. Be nice to plants. Use the word ‘freestyle’ properly.

Where can people find more about you?
- For all info relevant to my music existence you can peep here and to check out my whole music catalog you can visit here. I’m also on twitter and facebook and such. Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More