Monday, April 9, 2012

Marc Garvy Interview


Tell us about yourself. What's your name? Where are you from?
My name is Marcus Smith but I perform as Marc Garvy. I'm from Oakland CA the 70's to be exact

How did you get your start in the music industry? Who or what inspired you?
I started with a production company called Forest of Souls. The CEO (Robert Wooten) would start a beat and I would just go over it and add more to it. I was making my own tracks also. He liked what I did and started selling the beats to up and coming independent record companies etc.I have always loved music every since I could remember. My mom said when I was 1 maybe 2 I would rip her speakers open looking for the music or the people making the music inside it.

What upcoming projects are you working on?
My own album. R.O.D.'s mixtape and album. Working with Erk the Jerk and LoveRance for upcoming projects.


Since the start of your music career what is,in your opinion,the best track you have ever made?
The best track I ever made doesn't exist. I'm always searching for something new and innovative. I'm always trying to do better. But I guess my favorite track I've made so far is the "Can't Stand You" remix by R.O.D. ft. Erk the Jerk, Yukmouth, Nio Tha Gift, E-40, and Too $hort. I liked how I switched up the beat using different tracks.

If you could choose one artist to collaborate with on a track who would it be? Why?
I would love to work with Andre 3000. We both produce and rap. I think we could make something interesting. People have said I remind them of him with my charisma on the mic.


This sites purpose is living and representing the The Based lifestyle. What does the word "based" mean to you?
Just making your own lane. Not trying to be anyone else. Having your own swag. I'm just trying to put my stamp on Bay Area music. Trying to take rap music back to its simplest form how it use to be, with a simple but dope track and good lyrics.

Who are your favorite artists right now? Who's playing through your speakers?
I listen to everybody and a lil bit of everything from old to new. I have been playing YG though.

What's something that people might not know about you?
I'm a real entertainer. I can entertain. I don't just make beats and rap.


What's some advice you can give to upcoming/aspiring artist that you have learned so far that may come in handy to someone else?
Not to just rely on your own finances. Reach out and get people/businesses to invest in your projects. Open your own company and create opportunities for yourself. Oh and when you do make sure it's a corporation or LLC for the best protection.

Where can people find more about you?
You can find me on PlanetBeatzPro my production companies website. If your looking for tracks that's the best place to get me. Also friend me on Facebook/MarcGarvy and follow me @MARCGARVY76. Official Site.

Make sure to download his newest EP 'All Hustle' here or by clicking the cover before in the post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More