Monday, July 16, 2012

Alex Lee from Le Vice Interview

These questions are answered by the lead vocalist, Alex Lee

Tell us about yourself. What’s your name? Where are you from?
We are Le VICE. I'm Alex, I'm the lead vocals and play a little keys. Stilly plays bass and Synthesizers. Renzo plays guitar and keys. And Darrin plays drums. We are based out of San Francisco but we're originally from the Monterey Bay Area. Me and Darrin are from Seaside. Renzo's from Salinas, and Sean's from PG.
How did you get your start in the music industry?
When I was about 15 a friend and I decided we were going to start making "beats". After a few days we were like "Well someone needs to rap over our beats." His beats were better than mine and he's a white boy with glasses so I was like "Fuck it, I'll rap."(laughs). After I wrote one rap I told myself I was going to make it one day and haven't quit since.

I started making my own records with my boy, Jon Bomb. Then I started writing songs for TV working for a publishing company for a minute. That was the first time I was like, "I'm really doing this." But I soon realized I wanted to make my own shit...for me, not for a publishing company. So we started a band.
Who or what inspired you?
Honestly, N.E.R.D's first record In Search Of... Was like my first real inspiration. Not the one with the band, but the Euro version that only had beats and dropped in Europe like a year before the American version. I thought that was like the best music ever created by man (laughs). I was obsessed. Plus I just felt like someone like Pharell really hit home with me. He just seemed regular, but he was singing and rapping, and I thought "Man, I can do that.". Then I really started getting into that whole Neo Soul/conscious rap tip. Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Mos Def, The Roots, D'Angelo, Common, etc. I wanted to make that kind of music for a long time, then I realized that wasn't my route. That's around the same time we put Le VICE together. I wanted to do something different.
What upcoming projects are you working on?
We are about to release a project entitled, Neverland. It's kind of like a blend between an LP and a mixtape. We did a few covers/renditions of Pop songs (Rihanna's "Birthday Cake" and Drake's "Underground Kings"), but it's mostly original stuff. It drops on July 17 and we are giving it away for free on our website, www.levicemusic.com. SO PLEASE PICK THAT UP! We're going to be dropping a few videos for the cover songs in the next month or so as well.

But just as important as the record release is the party itself. We are going to be throwing a monthly 18+ party called BANGARANG! every 4th Wednesday at 330 Ritch, and we're using the record release as our first one. Our plan is to bring together the younger urban crowd with the live music crowd. We plan on having diverse bills with everything from trap rappers to indie rock bands to electro DJ's. That's basically what Le VICE represents, diversity, so we want our parties to represent that as well.
Since the start of your music career what is, in your opinion, the best track you have ever made?
I think "Find You" is our best track. It reaches such a broad audience. All kinds of different people dig it. Mass appeal is king.
If you could choose one artist to collaborate with on a track who would it be? Why?
There's too many to choose from. But off top, probably the Neptunes. I've always wanted a chance to get on a Neptunes beat. They have the dopest bridges and changes. It would be fun, plus I know it would be a hit by default and maybe they would consider producing a whole Le VICE record! (laughs).
This site’s purpose is living and representing the Based lifestyle. What does the word "based" mean to you?
I think of Lil B. Basedgod. (laughs). Nah but really, all I care about is this music. I don't have a "regular" job even though I very easily could have one. But that wouldn't give me time to do what I really want. I do what I want and making music and pushing it is just that. I choose to do that. Even though it's hard sometimes, sometimes your up sometimes your down, sometimes you got hella cash and sometimes your broke, sometimes they love you and sometimes they forget you exist but this is what I chose and I'm living the life that I want to live. It's not always pretty but it's a lifestyle. Being based is a lifestyle. We really live this shit.
Who are your favorite artists right now? Who’s playing through your speakers?
Right now, I'm actually listening to a bunch of Indie dance music and a bunch of trap music. what a juxtaposition, right? No one in particular though, just anything I can get my hands on.
What’s something that people might not know about you?
I used to Rollerblade when I was a kid. I was dope though, I was sponsored and everything (laughs). True shit.
What’s some advice you can give to upcoming/aspiring artists that you have learned so far that may come in handy to someone else?
Be prepared for a long journey. It doesn't come over night. Just keep believing in yourself and picture what you want. You have to see it before you can get it. And make sure you keep positive, ambitious people around you. Lazy, negative people will bring you down. Ditch them and keep it moving.
Where can people find more about you?
Follow us on Twitter, add us on Facebook, and check out our website to pick up our new project when it drops JULY 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More