Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chris Morocco Interview

Chris Morocco Interview
#DirectorsWeek


Tell us about yourself. Whats your name? Where are you from?
-Chris Morocco, and I am a director and photographer from Richmond, CA. I run my own production company, Movements In Media (MIM), and we specialize in everything media, from production to talent marketing. Swag.

What does the word "based" mean to you?
-I used to hear a lot of people use it to describe being drugged out, which is funny to me because the idea of being different and creative was so foreign to people that it meant you were loaded. To me it means being so clean that you are on a different level than everyone else. Anyways, shout out to Lil B - the basedgod himself.

How did you get into the directors chair/behind the camera? What inspired you and still inspires you?
-In the 8th grade I had an assignment to make a movie using special effects and really since then I knew I wanted to make videos. In high school I also got into making my own music. That lasted awhile, but I eventually ended up on the other side of the camera. I made my first music video in college for a local rapper out of Oakland. I graduated with a degree in audio and video production, however I am mostly self-taught. I took a couple months out of college to cop my own equipment and get my business plan together and have been making videos ever since.

My inspiration comes from a few different places. First up, my dadʼs career of 30+ years in the entertainment industry. Longevity in the industry is more rare than it is common, but he found his niche. It really helped me see you canʼt count on a career in entertainment by being basic, or even good – you need to set a standard for great and even beyond that. Thirty years from now I want my name to be associated the growth of video entertainment, creative freedom, and professionalism.

And simply, creating art and the fans that appreciate my work keep me inspired.

What upcoming projects are you working on, any particular one special to you or one your excited for?
-Of course. The project Iʼm most excited about right now is the video production summer camp Iʼve put together with my team. Weʼll be swagging high school students, ages 13 to 18, with production fundamentals during a weeklong hands on session. In addition to the camp Iʼm juiced about the expansion of my company. Brittany Sims, our resident producer and marketing director has signed on to develop our media management department. Brian Christ (with the protégé swag) and Charles “House” Ellis and the rest of the team are bringing new energy into the company. Trying to make a label of creators outchere.

Overall, whats your favorite video that you've ever created?
-This is a tough question, depends on the day, but I always enjoy shooting with my brothers Starting Six. “Thirsty” was my start so an automatic classic… and “Yogi” was the cleanest set I ran. Cast and crew had a lot of fun; we did it real big. It really just depends though.




Are there any artists out there you would like to work with, but haven't got the chance yet?
-Still want to shoot one for Lil B & The Cataracs. Iʼm down with the youth movement so maybe someone like Wiz. I am into different genres too, so maybe someone like Frank Ocean or The Weekend, other than that maybe some house/pop folks like Deadmau5, Nina Sky, Afro Jack, Benny Benassi, LMFAO, etc. Or we could bring Dipset back, and I could shoot a banger.

Besides your own videos, whats a video out right now that really caught your eye?
-A couple lately. The Party Anthem video by LMFAO is bananas, real fun. I also like the Tyler The Creator “Yonkers” joint; epitome of simple yet complex. Chris Brownʼs “Beautiful People” video is super settled and pretty funny.

What is something that people don't know about you?
-I am a teacher. Besides the summer camp series Iʼve been hired to speak at various schools about my career path, education and media. Giving back is really important to me.

Whats some advice you can give the people that want to get behind the camera and into the directors chair?
-I would remind them to be professional. It sounds like a given, but people forget that part. Just because weʼre in the entertainment industry doesnʼt mean weʼre 18 crazy. A lot of us are businessmen and women. Iʼd also remind them to treat every project like a challenge, and not to be complacent with their experience. Like I said, longevity is clearly a struggle in this business, so you got to keep striving to be better.

Where can people find more about you?
- Official Site
- Personal Site/Blog
- Twitter
- Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More